Feature Releases for the CHT Core Framework
A release is a set of code changes bundled together, ideally with at least one deployment of CHT apps ready to make use of it.
Building & Releasing CHT Core Changes
The high-level steps for a release are as follows:
- The Focused Working Group sees an opportunity they want to go after. The opportunity addresses a need of at least one CHT app deployment and will be used by that deployment after the release.
- The Focused Working Group agrees on a solution for it.
- Tickets are added to the Product Team Activities board for what’s being built.
- A release manager is assigned from the team.
- The release manager creates an issue for either a Major/Minor or Patch release and follows the process outlined in the issue template.
- Code is built by a developer together with quality assistance.
- Code is reviewed.
- Code is merged.
- Code is released.
The overall coordination and operation of the release process are the responsibility of the release manager.
The release manager must perform several tasks for a new release, such as coordinating with team members and following all the steps in the release issue process, some of them being manual. The release manager must have adequate permissions to the repositories where the release is made.
NoteThe following classification is defined by the Semantic Versioning 2.0.0.
Given a version number
MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:
MAJORversion when the release adds incompatible changes, e.g. when the apps built on top of the CHT require manual intervention to work as expected.
MINORversion when the release adds functionality in a backward-compatible manner.
PATCHversion when the release adds backward-compatible bug fixes.
MAJOR releases represent the biggest scale of code change and their roll out effort is high, as they likely require time and effort to set up or configure. As a consequence, they are the least frequent of the three release types.
InfoYou can find the versions currently supported, dependencies, and release notes for the CHT Core on the Releases page.
Follow the instructions in the readme.
Follow the instructions in the Android > Releasing section.
Using GitHub Actions to publish Docker images
Was this page helpful?
Glad to hear it! Please tell us how we can improve.
Sorry to hear that. Please tell us how we can improve.